Sunday, June 1, 2008

A Magnificent Day in Colorful Colorado

Spent the day in and around Denver. We walked outside in the morning and saw a hot air baloon coming over the mountains. We watched it as it cruised by our hotel and off east.
We started off the morning by seeing some family. Went and visited my Uncle Cliff in the Hospital outside Denver, and to our good fortune he was looking really good. We spent a few hours catching up with him and my Aunt Deb and cousin Clifford. It felt good to talk with them. I haven't seen them in 11 years since they moved to Austin, Texas from New Hampshire.
After we caught up with them we headed to Rocky Mountain National Park. Luckily my Dad is a senior citizen and he got a lifetime pass to every national park in America for 10 bucks. Without him it would have cost 80 bucks and it would only be good for a year. Looks like we'll be traveling with him for a while!!
We drove into the Rockies up Trail Ridge Road. It's the highest paved road in America. We topped out at about 12,000 feet. The scenery was absolutly astonishing. I could never describe it in any way that would do it justice. Even our photos won't do it justice. You'll all just have to go there yourself some day. Believe me... it's well worth it. After we drove through Trail Ridge road we headed up Bear Lake Road which takes you almost 10,000 feet up to a beautiful lake in the middle of the mountains.
It was a fantastic day and definately the high point of the trip so far. Off to Cheyenne,WY tomorrow. I'll be fulfilling my life long dream of buying some cowboy boots. It looks to be a good day in Wyoming.

Here's some photos from the day.

Some elk grazing


What am I?


The Rockies at 12,000 feet


Mom and Dad at 12,000 feet


Me at Bear Lake


Bear Lake

No comments: